Portrait Painting in Oils
- May 20th - June 7th (3 weeks) & October 21st - November 1st (2 weeks)
- Weekdays from 10AM - 1:30PM
- Tuition Cost:
- On request
- Application Deadline:
- One month prior to commencement
- All students will have their own individual working space and easel. Model fees are included in the price and there will be one model to every two students.
- Materials required:
- Tuition does not include all necessary materials aside from basic studio equipment, stands, and a selection of fabric for backgrounds. Some materials may be supplied for an additional fee (everything except brushes).
- Level of Difficulty:
- All levels of experience
- Atelier Canova studio
- Class Size:
- 4 students
- How to enrol:
- Use the online enrollment form
It is no coincidence that this course is the final workshop offered for the 2013 Spring/Summer season. Skills acquired through doing the Bargue course, cast drawing and still life painting, all culminate in this workshop. To paint a portrait in colour successfully, requires sound drawing skills, a keen understanding of the value range, and the appropriate paint application (opaque versus transparent, and warms versus cools). This is a very sophisticated class and for this reason we have fifteen days to work on the portrait – a total of 52 hours of class time.
This course will also be offered in October in an abbreviated form of two weeks – a total of 35 hours of class time.
This course begins with a slide show of some of my favourite painters and paintings. We will discuss composition and the various techniques used in the execution of the most successful portraits.
I will also give a talk and slide presentation on the steps I follow in developing up my paintings. The students will then arrange the set-up for their model and begin working on their charcoal drawings. After the drawings are completed satisfactorily, I will explain the layout of the palette and the advantages of a reduced range of primary colours. We will do a quick colour study, select our limited palette, and begin to paint.
This is the most complex course I offer, and those who have taken other classes with me will benefit from it the most. On the other hand I have also had complete beginners take this course, and they were extremely happy with their results. All are welcome – the only prerequisites I ask are patience, determination, and a good sense of humour!